Microsoft has been promising and reiterating about the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade for existing Lumia devices from a long time, months and months. Needless to mention, December 2015 was said to be the month for the official roll out and this didn't happen. What we have been getting until now, is the DELAY.
You might have heard of Microsoft's Insider Program. If you are new to this, let me tell you in short. If you are a fan or a tech savvy person or a developer with a passion for Windows, the Insider Program lets you test the pre-released software and pass on the feedback and help shape the future of Windows. Yes, Insider Program covers both Windows 10 PC and Windows 10 for phone. So, how do you actually make use of it in getting the latest software update on your Windows Phone device? The process is really simple.
- Read the presented message and tap “accept” to confirm your selection
- Your device will prompt to reboot
- After the reboot, check for updates. If available, your device will display an update. Settings > Updates &; security > Phone update > (check for updates)
- If available, complete the update by following the on-screen instructions
Your device is now on Windows 10 and is set to receive the next insider build update when available.
If you face any issue, even after installing windows 10 on your handset, or did not like the set up, you can always go back to Windows Phone 8.1 via Windows Device Recovery Tool by following this tutorial here.
Assuming you are on Windows 10, after you agreed to grab it right now, but then what if the official upgrade arrives for your phone? Do you have to roll back? The answer is quite tricky.
- You do not have to roll back to WP 8.1 when the official update arrives, you already the latest update (depending upon the ring you chose above).
- If you do not want to continue as an insider after you got the update on your phone via Insider Preview, you can simply head to Windows Insider app, tap on menu and choose "leave programme" . After then, you will continue to receive updates as and when available to general public.
- You can even get the latest firmware updates for your phone via insider solution. This will put your phone on latest firmware directly from Microsoft servers (Production Builds).
As a word of recommendation, insider builds always contain bugs, but those are not nasty ones. The current build for slow ring (10586.122) is very much stable and performs very well. Slow Ring is a good choice for first time getters who want to get their hands dirty with Windows 10 on their phone. Make sure to back up your stuff before following the upgrade process.
Are you someone waiting for the official upgrade for your phone? Was I able to convince you to get the update? Let me hear your thoughts in the comments below.